Upper Deck and Marvel are teaming up for a fresh take on the Kree/Skrull war from Avengers (issues 89 through 97) in the early 70’s.
Details can be found here.
I am a participating sketch card artist on this set. I am on board for 18 cards. These cards will be like nothing else you have ever seen before on a sketch card. A quick synopsis: I did three puzzles spelling AVENGERS, KREE, and KREE-SKRULL. I have early word that the Avengers puzzle may be inserted all into one pack. I’m torn on whether or not to show them off, or let them be posted by the people that pull them.
These cards will all have a combination of paint, polyurethane, ink, and vintage comic pages.
The AP’s are more of a throwback to a early era of comics, a homage so to speak. They are paint, with a linocut, more paint, then a nice coat of polyurethane to really make these pop.
The Avengers: Kree-Skrull War, is a 190-card trading card set that can be assembled to tell five original comic stories anchored around the Kree-Skrull War storyline from Avengers #89-#97. The stories can be assembled and read in nine-pocket card sheets.CONTENT HIGHLIGHTS: (All content listed is an average based on the entire production run)
Put together an entirely new comic book complete with original artwork chronicling untold tales of the Kree-Skrull War from Marvel’s popular Avengers comic books!
* Story pages turn front to back just like a standard comic book and are made up of 9 cards per page!
* Will be the only way for Marvel fans to read new stories from the Kree-Skrull War, which took place between Avengers #89-#97.
* Stories written by Sean McKeever (Captain America/Sentinel)
* Original Art by artists including Manuel Garcia (Iron Man Noir) and Bob McLeod (Amazing Spider-Man)
* Cover art by Harvey Tolibao (Heroes for Hire)
* Variant cover art by Paul Renaud (Hawkeye and Mockingbird)Collect all 190 cards that form the comic book featuring 5 action-packed stories!
20-Page Main Story
* Titled “Sacrifice”
* Features Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, and Vision in a great space epic where our heroes battle the entire Skrull Armada without a ship of their own all while racing against a deadly ticking clock!
* Begins right after Avengers #96, page 14
8-page Side Story
* Titled “The Debt”
* Features Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch battling a squadron of Skrull Soldiers in an attempt to escape from their captors on the Skrull Homeworld!
* Takes place between Avengers #96, page 12 and Avengers #97, page 5
6-page Side Story
* Titled “The Fall”
* Follows Nick Fury as he infiltrates an underground bunker loaded with traps in an attempt to rescue a kidnapped U.S. Senator that has been replaced by a Skrull!
* From Avengers #96, page 2
4-page Side Story
* Titled “Power”
* The renowned warrior known as Super-Skrull makes a desperate attempt at dethroning the Skrull Emperor permanently!
* Takes place after Avengers #94, page 16.
4-page Side Story
* Titled “Soldiers’ Honor”
* An uplifting and action-packed story taking place during the main story (“Sacrifice”) featuring Captain America who happens upon a group of Skrull soldiers trying to save some of their brothers-in-arms from imminent death. Will Captain America put himself in the face of danger to lend a hand?
Every box will, on average, deliver the entire 20-page main story and at least 1/3 of the side stories!
* Each 9-card pack will include 4 main story cards, 2-3 character cards, 1-2 side story card, and 1 cover card
Collect the Cover Art!
* Including short printed black and white and variant art cover versions!
Rare sketch cards and 1-of-1 printing plates will provide great added chase elements for collectors!
* Main Story (90 cards)
* Side Stories (99 cards)
* Checklist (1 card)
* Character Card Set
* Retro Character Card Set
* Cover Art
* Black & White Cover Variation
* Variant Cover Art
* Sketch Cards (1:432)
* Plate Cards (Rare)
24 packs per box